By Kenneth Calman
Read Online or Download A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
In Defiance of Time explores the emergence of antiquarianism in early sleek England, from its first flourishing within the mid-Tudor interval via to its seventeenth-century heyday. a colourful antiquarian tradition emerged, which reached past scholarly and old circles, and had a profound effect at the literature and regarded the interval.
Throughout the early sleek interval in England, social expectancies for males got here less than severe strain - the armed knight went into decline and humanism seemed. the following, unique essays examine a wide-range of violent acts in literature and tradition, from civic violence to chivalric strive against to brawls and battles.
Supplying imaginatively contextualized shut readings, this learn specializes in 3 key eighteenth-century writers - Haywood, Hill and Fowke. Wilputte lines the improvement of the passionate language of those writers whose lives, writing careers, and pursuits intersected from 1720 to 1724 within the "Hillarian" coterie.
Visuality within the Novels of Austen, Radcliffe, Edgeworth and Burney argues that the proliferation of visible codes, metaphors and references to the gaze in women’s novels released in Britain among 1778 and 1815 is extra major than students have formerly said. The book’s leading edge survey of the oeuvres of 4 culturally consultant girls novelists of the interval spanning the Anglo-French conflict and the conflict of Waterloo unearths the significance of visuality – the continuum linking visible and verbal verbal exchange.
- Europe's Languages on England's Stages, 1590–1620 (Studies in Performance and Early Modern Drama)
- Didactic Novels and British Women’s Writing, 1790-1820 (Gender and Genre)
- Dickens and Benjamin: Moments of Revelation, Fragments of Modernity (Nineteenth Century)
- Jane Austen and Performance
- Between Wales and England: Anglophone Welsh Writing of the Eighteenth Century (Crew Series of Critical and Scholarly Studies: Writing Wales in English)
- Textual Studies and the Enlarged Eighteenth Century: Precision as Profusion
Extra info for A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing
A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing by Kenneth Calman