By Georgia L. Irby
A spouse to technology, know-how, and medication in old Greece and Rome brings a clean viewpoint to the research of those disciplines within the historical international, with 60 chapters analyzing those subject matters from various severe and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean point of view to the examine of technological know-how, know-how, and medication within the old global, with 60 chapters interpreting those issues from numerous severe and technical perspectives
- Begins assurance in six hundred BCE and contains sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those principles into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, ideas, and pursuits in historic technology, expertise, and medication in the old, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and normal sciences; the second one makes a speciality of cultural purposes and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
Among Poverty and the Pyre examines the historical past of the adventure of widowhood throughout various cultures. It brings jointly a suite of essays through historians, anthropologists and philologists. The e-book indicates how tough it really is to outline the 'typical' widow, because the studies of those ladies have differed so broadly, now not just because in their assorted time sessions and destinations, but in addition becuase in their various criminal and non secular prestige and financial stipulations.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2011 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Altertum, word: 1,3, Christian-Albrechts-Universität Kiel, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Nach immer noch populärer Lehrmeinung battle die Absetzung Romulus Augustulus` im Jahre 476 ein epochemachendes Ereignis, mit dem das Kaisertum in Italien endete.
This quantity, which maintains an identical author's Early Byzantine Historians , is the 1st e-book to investigate the lives and works of all forty-three major Byzantine historians from the 7th to the 13th century, together with the authors of 3 of the world's maximum histories: Michael Psellus, Princess Anna Comnena, and Nicetas Choniates.
This ebook is the one textual content dedicated totally to archaeological stratigraphy, an issue of primary value to so much reports in archaeology. the 1st variation seemed in 1979 as a result of invention, by means of the writer, of the Harris Matrix--a approach for reading and proposing the stratigraphic sequences of archaeological websites.
- The Earth, the Temple, and the Gods: Greek Sacred Architecture
- La Colonne Trajane et les Forums impériaux (Collection de l'École française de Rome) (French Edition)
- Milvian Bridge AD 312: Constantine's battle for Empire and Faith (Campaign)
- Caligula: A Biography
- Egyptian Pyramids Revisited
- Die militärische Krise - Die Führungsschicht und die Heeresreform des Gallienus (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Georgia L. Irby