By Helen Wilcox
- Represents an exploration of a yr within the textual lifetime of early smooth England
- Juxtaposes the diversity and variety of texts that have been released, performed, learn, or heard within the related yr, 1611
- Offers an account of the textual tradition of the 12 months 1611, the surroundings of language, and the guidelines from which the accredited model of the English Bible emerged
Read or Download 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
In Defiance of Time explores the emergence of antiquarianism in early glossy England, from its first flourishing within the mid-Tudor interval via to its seventeenth-century heyday. a colourful antiquarian tradition emerged, which reached past scholarly and old circles, and had a profound impact at the literature and regarded the interval.
Throughout the early smooth interval in England, social expectancies for males got here lower than severe strain - the armed knight went into decline and humanism seemed. the following, unique essays study a wide-range of violent acts in literature and tradition, from civic violence to chivalric strive against to brawls and battles.
Offering imaginatively contextualized shut readings, this learn makes a speciality of 3 key eighteenth-century writers - Haywood, Hill and Fowke. Wilputte lines the improvement of the passionate language of those writers whose lives, writing careers, and pursuits intersected from 1720 to 1724 within the "Hillarian" coterie.
Visuality within the Novels of Austen, Radcliffe, Edgeworth and Burney argues that the proliferation of visible codes, metaphors and references to the gaze in women’s novels released in Britain among 1778 and 1815 is extra major than students have formerly said. The book’s cutting edge survey of the oeuvres of 4 culturally consultant girls novelists of the interval spanning the Anglo-French warfare and the conflict of Waterloo finds the significance of visuality – the continuum linking visible and verbal communique.
- Court Politics, Culture and Literature in Scotland and England, 1500-1540
- The Oxford Handbook of Literature and the English Revolution (Oxford Handbooks)
- How Novels Think: The Limits of Individualism from 1719-1900
- William Morris and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Extra resources for 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England
1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England by Helen Wilcox